Death Valley National Park is a Photographers paradise. From sand dunes to salt flats, badlands to mud cracks, colored mountains to sailing rocks - there are endless photography opportunities. You are only limited by your imagination.
In this trip we will be exploring some of the remote and exotic locations of Death Valley in addition to famous central spots. We will be doing extensive sunset and night photography plus sunrise photography whenever possible. There will also be opportunities for abstract and B&W photography.
Death Valley is an excellent place for creative fine art photography. Everybody will be able to carry home a bunch of portfolio worthy pictures. Check for more images here https://www.ashphotography.us/death-valley
This workshop is scheduled at one of the best times of the year when temperatures are moderate and milky way is visible earlier in night giving us ample time for sleep. This 5 days and 4 nights workshop will cover the following main locations:
1. Racetrack Playa/Sailing rocks (3 hour on/off road drive - we will camp here overnight - sunset, night photography)
2. Eureka Sand Dunes (3 hour on/off road drive - we will camp here overnight - sunset, night and sunrise photography)
3. Ubehebe crater
4. Rhyolite Ghost town (Sunset and Night Photography)
5. Mesquite sand dunes (abstract, sunset and night photography)
6. Artist's palette (Sunrise photography)
We may also visit some other locations from the following options - Mud cracks (abstracts), Reflections in Cotton ball basin, Twenty Mule Canyon & Zabriskie points
The exact itinerary will be decided at the location depending on weather conditions at that time.
You must be able to hike for 1-2 miles with your camera gear (Please bring a backpack).
What to bring along:
1. DSLR/Mirrorless camera (with option of manual adjustments for ISO, Aperture, Duration and focus)
2. Lenses - Wide angle and standard lenses (14mm and upwards) are preferred.
4. Filters - Polarizers, Neutral density and Graduated filters (whatever you have).
5. Memory cards & spare batteries
6. Lens cleaning cloth
7. Remote shutter release (I prefer a wired one)
8. Charged laptop (with Lightroom/Photoshop) for post processing
9. Memory card reader or a USB wire to connect with your camera.
10. A note book and pen to make notes.
11. Sleeping bags/blankets etc
12. Torch and headlamp (with beam control and red light option)
13. Your camera manual (to check specific setting changes)
14. A power back up if you want to charge anything. Please bring everything fully charged.
This is a suggested list of items (not all are mandatory).
We will be learning various basic and advanced techniques for landscape, night and abstract photography. We will also be learning various advanced post processing techniques.
Lodging at furnace creek and other remote campgrounds is included.
We will go together in a 4 wheel drive vehicle from Los Angeles.
We will carry food and cooking provisions with us. Meals at restaurants (if any) not included.
You'll need a moderate level of fitness for hiking in sand dunes
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED
Emergency Medical Evacuation Insurance (required). Trip and cancellation insurance (optional). Personal sleeping bag. Items of a personal nature. Anything not specifically listed as included.
COST & PAYMENT TERMS
$1475 - Workshop total cost
(Travel, Park entrance fee, Camp lodging & meal provisions included)
Your deposit of $300 is due at sign up and will hold your space in the workshop. The balance of $1175 is due 90 days before workshop date.
This workshop is suitable for all levels of photographers.
1. Restricted to a max. of 5 participants
2. Some locations have no phone coverage, electricity and water
3. Keep checking for updates.